Thursday, October 27, 2011

Working for tuition?

I researched Berea College it focused on learning, working, and serving.  The students each get a full ride, but ate required to work a minimum of 10 hours a week.  I have mixed feelings about these ideas.  I do think learning, working, and service can be very important aspects of college.  However, I do not think working a minimum of 10 hours a week is feasible for all students.  I work 8 hours each week and because of my job I have to get my hours in during the week.  I find myself getting overwhelmed sometimes, and I often stress out over assignments.  I think working upwards of 10 hours every week could affect your school work.  On the other hand, I love my work study job.  I am on grounds crew.  I get to work outside doing physical tasks.  I really enjoy the break from the academic setting, I find it refreshes me and clears my head.  I think working also teaches you many important skills including a good work ethic.
            I think that the work study program is better than the Berea College method because work study is more flexible.  You can work between 2 and 8 hours a week.  The problem with work study is since it is government founded not everyone qualifies.   The other issue is you are only able to make between 850 and 900 dollars.  Therefore, I think it really depends on the person.  If you are able to work 10 or more hours a week without your school work suffering then perhaps it would be a good college for you.  But if you would not be able to handle such a schedule, then perhaps you should try a school with a work study program where your schedule can be lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment