Thursday, November 10, 2011

Intrinsically Good

I think intrinsically good means good for the sake of being good, no ulterior motive. 
Things that are intrinsically good:
1.       Sleep
2.       Relationships
3.       Love
4.       Service
5.       Chocolate
6.       Popcorn
7.       Affirmation
8.       Quality Time
9.       Nature
10.   Sex
11.   Sanctity of marriage
12.   Parenthood
13.   Tea
14.   Water
15.   Patience
16.   Confidence
17.   Integrity
18.   Music
19.   Art
20.   Snow

There have been so many times in my life that I see love as being intrinsically good.  I see it in the love that was shown to me especially when I didn’t deserve it, or wasn’t the most willing recipient.  The example that sticks out in my mind is my freshman year when I was taking algebra.  Let me tell you I was not an easy person to love when I was doing algebra homework, but my mom would stay up until the wee hours of the morning while I worked on my horrific algebra homework.  She would make me hot cocoa, or hold my hand when I was on the verge of tears.  She loved me unconditionally. Love is definitely intrinsically good.  Of course Christ is the ultimate example of this unconditional love, without which I question whether any thing would be intrinsically good.
Can anything be intrinsically good since the fall has cast a negative shadow on everything?
Can we define certain things as intrinsically good, or does it depend on individual views

No comments:

Post a Comment