Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Memory Reflection

            I was a lifeguard this summer, it’s a pretty chill job most of the time but sometimes it can get really intense.  I was in the middle of a 5 hour shift when I heard my supervisor yell my name.  I looked across the water, and I saw him, a little boy had gone down the slide and hadn’t realized he couldn’t touch.  I could see him bobbing up and down in the water.  In a matter of seconds I had blown my whistle, jumped in, swam over, and grabbed him.  I held him in the water and I could feel his heart pounding, thanks to the adrenaline mine was pumping nearly as fast, for a while I just held him waiting for both our hearts to return to normal.  I started talking to him and I eventually knew he was okay. 
            I have replayed that moment over and over in my head and I realize it was purely instinct.  I had jumped in and made the save before I really knew what had happened.  It felt good to do what I was trained to do.  In that moment I knew without a doubt that I was exactly where I needed to be and I was there for a purpose.  I think that so often in our lives that is what we are searching for, we want purpose for our life.  We want to know that what we are doing matters, it’s important and it makes a difference.  When I saved that boy I had that feeling of purpose I had done something significant and it made a difference in someone’s life.

How do we find purpose in our everyday lives when it seems like there is nothing important going on?

What should you do when you are uncertain where God is leading you in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment